Sam is the perfect example of what consistency and hardwork looks like. This girl has been dedicated to improving since she started at CrossFit New Haven in 2017. The last year has brought the most changes for her, since she decided to really focus on improving her nutrition, alongisde her regular CrossFit/HIIT schedule. The result: she is down 7% body fat! That is an incredible change, but it didn't happen overnight.
Not only does Sam show up consistently, but she actively seeks out advice and help from coaches to continue improving her craft. You can find her dabbling in many different classes at DAC, as well as supporting fellow community members.
Don't let Sam downplay how awesome she is. The next time you see her, make sure you congratulate her on all of her incredible progress in the last couple years!
1. When and where did you start CrossFitting?
I started crossfitting here at CFNH back in May of 2017! Coach Frankie was my trainer at a different gym and when he started working here he convinced me to come try it and I never looked back!
2. What are some of your goals to accomplish in 2019?
Stringing together toes to bar is a big one for me! I’m also hoping to get handstand push-ups
3. What are some of your recent accomplishments of which you're most proud?
For the last 10 months I’ve made my nutrition my number one priority and I’m really proud of all the progress I’ve made, including dropping my body fat percentage by 7%!
4. Do you adhere to any form of daily/weekly diet regimen to power your workouts? What does your dream cheat meal/day look like?
I do in fact! I track my macros which works really well for me but I also just participated in the Spring Clean-Up challenge which really helped me clean up my diet.
My dream cheat meal would be Colony Grill hot oil pizza with cherry peppers and sausage on top, with a side of Kraft macaroni and cheese washed down with a Narraganset Dell’s Summer Shandy. Just give me all of the cheese and all of the beer.
5. Design 2 WODs: 1 that is your bread & butter, filled with your movement strengths; 1 that is all goats (movement weaknesses you feel you need to improve).
Bread and butter:
12/10 calorie row
10 deadlifts 135/95
20 minute AMRAP
10 Power snatches 95/65
6. How do you spend your time when you're away from CFNH?
I’m a nurse at Yale New Haven Hospital so days when I’m not at CFNH I’m usually there working! I also love reading and have a new passion for cooking!
7. What is one fact that other CFNHers may not know about you?
I’m a huge cat lady and my husband and I are big Disney World Fans, we’ve purchased annual passes every year for the last 3 years
8. Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions to folks just getting started at CFNH?
Embrace scaling and pacing! Everyone will be there cheering you on whether you scaled or RX’d. I would also say for anyone who’s on a weight loss journey, your progress is so much more than the number on the scale, it’s your growth in workouts, the way your clothing fits, or even just establishing a healthy relationship with food, so don’t get discouraged by the numbers!