in Nutrition by Coach Amanda
You may not know this, but I love breakfast. It is my favorite meal of the day. If I could eat breakfast for three meals, I would. I love going out on Sunday after church for brunch and my go to meal is hash. Corned beef hash...add two poached eggs. BOOM. Done. Give me some coffee to wash it down. I am one happy camper.
I found this bacon and sweet potato hash recipe from Clean Eating with a Dirty Mind. (I know, hilarious)
Read it. Make it. Sunday Brunch at your HOUSE!
Paleo Bacon Sweet Potato Hash
8 slices of Uncured Nitrate-Free Peppered Bacon
2 large Sweet Potatoes
1/2 cup of chopped Onions (Yellow or White)
2 tsp. Butt Rub Seasoning (if this isn’t available where you live just omit and add more ground pepper and then buy this stuff online it’s amazing!)
1 tsp. Garlic Salt
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Chili Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Peel and shred the two large sweet potatoes into an oven safe container. (Pyrex, stainless steel, what have you.)
- Squeeze excess moisture out with a paper towel (mine were super moist) and then place in the oven while you cook and slice your bacon, about 10 minutes or so, to draw the excess moisture out even more.
- Cook your bacon in a large pan. Don’t toss your bacon drippings we are going to use them to cook the hash in.
- Now cut your bacon into pieces as big or as small as you want and set aside.
- On low-medium heat brown the onions in the bacon drippings, it should only take a few minutes.
- Now turn the stove up to medium-high and add the shredded sweet potatoes to the onions already in the pan.
- Next add your seasonings to the sweet potato shreds and onions and combine. Do a taste test and add more if desired. When you are happy with the taste of the spices, use a spatula to flatten out the sweet potato and onion mix into the pan and press down to make it as flat as you can. Let it sit for a few minutes until the bottoms are brown. Then mix again and repeat this process until the sweet potato becomes hash brown like and cooked through.
- Once the hash is cooked and browned, toss in the bacon and combine.
- Transfer to a dish, garnish with avocado slices and enjoy!