in by Lindsay
Happy one year CrossFitiversary, Sean!
You can find Sean Gibbon jogging and stretching around the gym 30 minutes before class. He knows how to take care of his body, and he understands what goes into improving his performance across all CrossFit movements: putting in the time and the work, and recovering properly. He's a coach's dream, taking all of the notes and cues and applying them immediately. He's come so far in the year that he's been at CFNH; have you seen his hip extension lately?!
We can't wait to see what he will accomplish in 2018!
1. When and where did you start CrossFitting?
I started Crossfit one year ago with you guys!
2. We’re only a few months into 2018- What are some of your new goals for 2018?
Ring Muscle Ups! I find myself thinking about Ring Muscle Ups a lot.
3. What are some of your recent accomplishments of which you're most proud?
I'm finally learning how to use my hips and it makes every move easier!
4. Do you adhere to any form of daily/weekly diet regimen to power your workouts? What does your dream cheat meal/day look like?
A lot of protein throughout the day. Bananas. I'm writing this in a diner at 5 PM, thinking what I need to eat for my 6:30 PM Crossfit class. Two eggs and one pancake. I guess my cheat day would just be more diner food. I eat a lot of meals here.
5. Design 2 WODs: 1 that is your bread & butter, filled with your movement strengths; 1 that is all goats (movement weaknesses you feel you need to improve).
My comfort zone Crossfit WOD would look like this: rope climb, v-ups, power clean, 400 meter run.
My out-of-comfort WOD would be Overhead squats, for time, increasing weight -- does this work out exist?
6. How do you spend your time when you're away from CFNH?
I have three kids and they take up a lot of time. BTW they are fascinated with my interest in Crossfit. My youngest son Beau always asks me: "Were you a DNF today?" Because when I did Murph I was just getting started with Crossfit and I told my kids when I was heading out that morning, "I'm not going to be a DNF!" I think he wants me to be a DNF, that's why he keeps asking.
7. What is one fact that other CFNHers may not know about you?
When I leave the gym I'm usually going to another gym. I'm a squash coach.
8. Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions to folks just getting started at CFNH?
Crossfit New Haven is fantastic -- that's the first thing I would say to someone getting started. Go after the coaches and ask questions! From Poz I learned toes-to-bar, from Aaron hand stand push-ups, from Spencer bar muscle ups (he actually dragged a mat over because I was conerned that I was going to flip over the bar!) With Dags I'm working on ring muscle ups. (Spencer had me on the strict ring muscle up which was way too hard! But maybe by the summer....)