PR'ing dubs, half-marathons, and breathing fire during MetCons, Juliana Ferruccio had a big 2016 and is setting new goals for 2017. Let's hear it!
1. How did you get your start at CFNH?
When I moved to New Haven two years ago, after finding a place to live, the second thing that I looked for was where to do Crossfit. I'm Brazilian and started to do Crossfit back home. Oh man, I was very enthusiastic to get to know the "American Crossfit", so I went to the Saturday introduction class and thought: ok, I can do this! I'll always remember my first real 5:30AM class! I felt terrible, lost and thought that I could never follow the guys! Fortunately, this feeling only lasted a very short period of time! Everybody is very supportive and the coaches are amazing!
2. How has your approach and perspective on your workouts and motivations changed since you started CrossFitting? New year, new you: what are some of your goals for 2017?
I love running, but I had multiple injuries every time I trained to run a half marathon. When I started CFNH I discovered the importance of stretching
and found flexibility that I didn't know I had! So my first motivation was to be able to finish a half-marathon without any injury. I'm proud to say I successfully ran a half-marathon without any pain and did it 20 minutes faster than my PR!
I have two goals for 2017:
1) Do 10 consistent pull ups
2) Run a marathon
3. What are some of your recent accomplishments of which you're most proud?
I'd say that recently I moved from 2 max terrible double-unders to 30 in a row in a day. Don't ask my how, they just happened!
4. Do you follow any specific daily or weekly diet regimen to fuel your Athlete of the Month-level CrossFit performance? What does your dream cheat meal/day look like?
I try! I try! I looove to eat! And I could say that I'm an easy person to cook for. I like everything! I've being trying to keep a healthy diet for the past 10 years, changing some things , excluding others from my diet and I love a challenge, so I did the last Paleo Challenge and felt great! (Thanks to coach Carla for the amazing guidance!) The increase in my energy was incredible! I'm trying to keep up with Paleo, but my weekends are....let's say...not so clean. I'm a chocolate/wine lover...so I wouldn't care much about the main course, as long as it would be paired with a red wine and followed by brigadeiro (is made from condensed milk, cocoa powder, butter and chocolate sprinkles to cover the outside layer)... Chocolate lovers folks: You need to try Brazilian Brigadeiro!
5. Design 2 WODs: 1 that is your bread & butter, filled with your movement strengths; 1 that is all goats (movement weaknesses you feel you need to improve).
Bread & Butter WOD: Anything with running, squats, deadlifts and split jerks.
All goats: The majority of gymnastic movements, but the worse is pull up. They always remind me that I'm too heavy or too weak!
6. How do you spend your time when you're away from CFNH?
I spend time with my husband and my little dog. We love to travel, especially when it involves wine. My husband is my inspiration to run. He encouraged me to start and is the reason for my frustration, because no matter how hard I train, how clean I eat, if we go for a run together, he will be waiting for me at the finish line.
7. What is one fact people may not know about you?
I think most people at the Crossfit don't know that I'm a scientist. I'm a postdoc at Yale Medical School and love to work in hematology. Most people would say that the geek life of a scientist does not match with Crossfit, but I'm here to prove the opposite!
8. Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions to folks just getting started at CFNH?
It will get better, but not easier!
And stretch, stretch and stretch yourself!