Stephen Ziegelmayer is a CFNH O.G. who dug deep in 2016, and our December Male Athlete of the Month to round out the year!
1. When and where did you start CrossFitting?
2009 at CrossFit New Haven.
2. How have your goals and/or motivations changed in the last year?
I think eating better has become my biggest goal. I had done the Paleo Challenge and felt amazing. I have been working very hard to stick to it. I notice my performance is much better now.
3. What are some of your recent accomplishments of which you're most proud?
It is not as much the physical but the mental. I find that my tolerance to dig deep and push thru some really uncomfortable moments keeps increasing. I think it is a combination of eating better, seeing so many amazing athletes, and having really good coaches.
4. Do you adhere to any form of daily/weekly diet regimen to power your workouts? What does your dream cheat meal/day look like?
So Paleo day to day is my goal. Dream cheat meal: pizza and chips.
5. Design 2 WODs: 1 that is your bread & butter, filled with your movement strengths; 1 that is all goats (movement weaknesses you feel you need to improve).
I think both would need to have lots of running and some heavy lifts (deadlift/squats). Then more running. I find that this combination is mentally the most challenging for me.
6. How do you spend your time when you're away from CFNH?
When I am not here I spend time with my daughter, wife, and two dogs. I also read as much as I can.
7. What is one fact that other CFNHers may not know about you?
My wife is a modern dancer who teaches and performs with a few companies in NYC. My background is in insurance/finance so I feel very grateful to have exposure to the arts and such a different domain in my life.
8. Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions to folks just getting started at CFNH?
Embrace the feedback you get from your coaches. They will make you better.