Crossfit Blog

CFNH Athlete of the Month for May - Josie Bircher

in by Lindsay

The CFNH coaches are truly in awe of the work that Josie puts in. We can all take a cue from her. Josie is proactive with her prehab and rehab exercises, which allow her to continue to workout safely and effectively. She has no qualms about scaling, and will actively seek out the coach's advice for how to get the best workout given any limitations. She continues to get better and stronger, and we can't wait to see what she continues to accomplish here at CFNH!

Way to go, Josie!

1.  When and where did you start CrossFitting?
I started Crossfit right here at CFNH back in January 2017. I had my last race as a college swimmer in February of 2016 (the attached picture is my day of retirement), and it took less than a year of trying to exercise (on land) by myself to realize I was lost without an organized and coached program. Two weeks into on-ramp and I was hooked!

2.  We’re almost halfway through 2018 - what are some of your goals to accomplish this year?
I really want to get pullups and toes-to-bar by the end of the year --- I've been spending alot of time just getting comfortable hanging from the bar and kipping and have made good progress so far so I'm optimistic!

3.  What are some of your recent accomplishments of which you're most proud?
I recently did Nancy and it was the first time I think I had done a WOD with overhead squats...maybe ever...because of some residual shoulder issues that I had from swimming. But I've been working really hard trying to build up the supporting muscles in my shoulder and am happy to say that it felt great! That was really exciting. 

4.  Do you adhere to any form of daily/weekly diet regimen to power your workouts?  What does your dream cheat meal/day look like?
I wouldn't say I adhere to a specific regimen, but I eat alot of vegetables and alot of peanut butter and that seems to do the job! My dream cheat meal would be made up of chocolate chip cookies and those sprinkle and chocolate covered waffle cones from Ben&Jerry's (I really only ever eat ice cream because I love those waffle cones so much).

5. Design 2 WODs:  1 that is your bread & butter, filled with your movement strengths; 1 that is all goats (movement weaknesses you feel you need to improve).
Bread & Butter:
12 min AMRAP
400m Run
10 Front Squats
10 V-ups
10 burpees

Goats:
5 RFT
12 pullups
8 power snatches
2 rope climbs

6. How do you spend your time when you're away from CFNH?
I'm in grad school for biology right now, so 97% of my time away from CFNH is spent working in lab --- the other 3% is spent baking + eating cookies.

7. What is one fact that other CFNHers may not know about you?
I really love to bake - so much so that I started a baking business when I was younger and sold chocolate chip cookies and banana bread to everyone in my neighborhood (I guess I also liked to make money..)! I've been cooking more than baking recently since it's (probably) unsustainable to live off of chocolate chip cookies, but baking still has my heart.

8.  Do you have any motivational thoughts or suggestions to folks just getting started at CFNH?
Be patient! I know that sometimes things move slowly and it takes a while to see progress, but if you stick with things and work hard then the results will follow! In the meantime, don't forget to have some (or a lot of) fun.

 

Twitter Stream