in Athlete Of The Month by amandaz
Congrats Anne! We have noticed all of the hard work and dedication you've been putting in at CFNH! Keep up the great work!!!
Name: Anne Merritt
Member Since: February 2011 (started at CFM in 2009)
1) How did you hear about CrossFit?
I first heard about CrossFit on a weekend visit to DC in 2008 when I attended a boot camp class. The instructor kept raving about this new type of workout, started in California, that he and his buddies were trying at a local gym. It sounded intense...and exciting. I googled CrossFit when I got back to New Haven, discovered Jay's gym in Milford which had just opened, and the rest is history!
2) What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?
Becoming stronger and faster every day, building core strength, and facing a variety of obstacles along the way. For me, this sport is a journey which constantly challenges me to tackle my weaknesses, be patient with myself, and work hard. CrossFit has helped me to become a more well-rounded athlete than I ever was in my earlier years as a competitive swimmer and runner.
3) Name 1 Long Term Fitness Goal: To always enjoy working out as much as I do in our box, to keep my enthusiasm for the toughest WODs, and to CrossFit for as many years as my body will allow!
4) Name 1 Short Term Fitness Goal: To restart endurance training and get back to competing in triathlons. Pull-ups, consistent double unders, and longer handstand walks are also on the list.
5) What keeps you motivated to come workout every week!?
The inspiring and talented group of friends and athletes who WOD beside me each day, the phenomenal coaches whose critique and encouragement have pushed me beyond limits I never thought possible, and the bacon and other delicious calorie sources that await me post-workout!
6) You're in the 13th minute of Cindy - what song comes on that pushes you through!?
By the 13th minute of Cindy I probably won't hear a thing, but anything Jay-Z, Kanye, or of course Lady GaGa will do.
7) Iron Man vs. Thor - who wins?
This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I would have to say Iron Man...
8) Fun Fact about YOU:
In addition to CrossFit, I enjoy scuba diving, yoga, and cycling.
9) Brag a little - what's one thing you're great at.
I love the power clean and recently broke the 100lb barrier. I am working on the same for the close grip bench press and hope to be there in the next few months.
10) Fueling your body...paleo or not? Favorite recipe to share?
I started paleo in January and continue to follow it with occasional exceptions. I have noticed significant improvements in my workout performance since then.
My favorite recipe is Spring Salad, from The Wild Food Gourmet by Anne Gardon. Easy to make and works well on its own or as a side dish with any meal.
500 mL (2 cups) oxeye daisy sprigs
500 mL (2 cups) dandelion leaves
250 mL (1 cup) violet leaves and flowers
125 mL ( 1/2 cup) olive oil
45 mL (3 tbsp) lemon juice
15 mL (1 tbsp) prepared hot mustard
45 mL (3 tbsp) capers, minced (optional)
Combine salad greens and flowers. Combine oil, lemon juice and mustard. Mix
well. Add capers, salt and pepper to taste. Pour dressing over salad, toss
and serve. Makes 4 servings.