in The Whiteboard by Coach Whitney
Athletes, Friends, and Family,
It’s time to sign up for the 2018 APK Charities 5k Race, Ruck March, or Kids Fun Run on Saturday, November 3rd. We have a trophy to defend, and a lot of fun to be had! Please read this post for full details on the event and how to sign-up.
APK Charities has become a big part of our CFNH Family, including founders Bob Keiser and Helen Pedersen-Keiser, and the APK Charity Board of Directors. You may recognize many of them from their continued support and presence during our Memorial Day, July 4th, and Veteran’s Day events. Connecticut’s own Captain Andrew Pedersen-Keel embodied so much of what we hold ourselves and each other accountable to at CFNH, and we hope you will find the time and the love to support this event in his honor. Or maybe you've seen Bob in class recently.
What: 5k Ruck March/Walk, 5k Race, Kids Fun Run- something for everyone!
When: November 3rd, 9:30am (arrive by 8:30am!)
Who: ALL CFNH/DAC Members, friends, and family (kids welcome!)
Where: Guilford Fairgrounds- Lovers Ln. Guilford, CT
Each year CFNH fields multiple teams including those who are competing to W-I-N, and those looking for a good time for a great cause. Please start assembling your teams now and getting yourselves signed up. *When creating teams, please use CFNH somewhere in your team so that we can account for total participation* Coach Whitney will help in coordinating the non-competitive teams this year, so please reach out to her if you want to participate, but don’t have a full team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All proceeds from this year’s race will benefit the Special Forces Charitable Trust, Fisher House - West Haven, The APK Endowment Fund (Madison and Guilford Foundations), Spike's K9 Fund and Wounded Warriors Family Support.
What is a Ruck March?
RUCK MARCH REQUIREMENTS
- We highly encourage your ruck or pack to have an Internal or External Frame. NO WEIGHT VESTS.
- If the individual weighs more than 150 lbs., he/she will carry 20 pounds to include pack weight.
- If the individual weighs less than 150 lbs., he/she will carry 10 pounds to include pack weight.
- All rucks will be weighed prior to the start and upon the completion. Pack weight, when weighed, will be without water.
- Participants are encouraged to use non-perishable goods for weight (Canned Goods, Rice, etc). Food Items will be collected at the finish line and will be donated to the St. George Food Pantry.
- Please DO NOT use expired food items.
- Please keep labels on food items and in the original state. Duct taping goods together is allowed. (Place cans in bag and then tape to keep from ripping off labels)
- Participants CANNOT use rocks or logs that can be picked up along the course.
On Race Day we will have a CFNH Meeting Spot. Please check the CFNH Instagram and Facebook for the location and a photo of the area for us to meet up. Teams should coordinate amongst themselves for a meeting point at packet pick-up, coordinating outfits, etc… Packet pick-up happens early, so please allow for at least 45 mins to an hour ahead of the start time to arrive and get yourself signed in, your team canned goods weighed, and staged with CFNH Crew.
Let me make clear that our expectation is that we have a larger showing at this CFNH supported event than in class that day. Each year we hold a charity fundraiser and THIS is that event. Please prioritize this event!
Our Award Winning Ruck Team from 2017
Help us make this picture to twice as big this year!